Monday, November 9, 2009

Life in the Country



Stuart and I feel like we've finally come home.

Where is this neurotic woman you guys all know? I feel like she might have gone away for ever. I never realized until now how claustrophobic the city made me feel. That the city was the root of most of my anxieties. Life here is slow and steady, with always a task to be done but no stress involved. New and old friends have been welcoming us with open arms and offering more help than we really need. Were so grateful! And its always good to be able to return the favor.

Yesterday, we got invited to help with the cattle drive at a friend's farm. Ive never been so close to a cow (or a bull) before! I must admit that I found their enormous size unnerving, but I soon realized that they were much more afraid of me, a stranger, than I was of them. A two and a half ton bull skittered past me like I was a wolf in sheep's clothing. So strange!



Emma and Chico are in Paradise here. Though the road is close to the house and cars go by at 80 clicks and hour here, they are allowed to roam free. Its amazing how quickly they learned the boundaries of their territory and remain within them. We have a new barn cat. He just showed up one day to eat from the compost pile and I set him up a little bed and some food in the barn. We don't see him much because of the dogs, but I've had three sightings so far. The food is always gone in the morning, but for all I know, raccoons are eating it. When I've seen him five times, i'll name him.

I've never been an early riser, but my favorite thing nowadays, is to rise at 6:30 and head outside in my nightgown and a warm coat to have my first cigarette while watching the sun rise over the hill and the ground frost melt in the shape of the barn.

 


We finally bought a clothes drier last week as it's become too rainy and cold to hang clothes on the line. The drier was delivered to our door in 30 minutes with this:




(the note says: "Thanks for buying from Smitty's Appliances, I do appreciate your business. And welcome to the area. Please come back. A little treat on Smitty."

 I love the country!

So we also set up our new wood stove yesterday. Stuart made a beautiful slate base for it. now were really warm and we can save on oil! It is so very exciting!





Working hard and living good.

No comments:

Post a Comment