Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Shot Through the Heart, and You're to Blame: You Give Love a Bad Name




So a few days after Anthony generously offered to help start our flock, I woke up one morning to find that their water was covered by a sheet of ice. I was horrified by the thought that my beloved chickens might get frostbite or suffer from nighttime dehydration, so I dutifully went to the Feed & Seed to solve our little problem.

I walked in and the wifey wasn't there, but the kind old husband was. I asked about a water feeder and heater. He pointed to the feeder and, looking slightly embarrassed, advised me to start with the feeder and maybe, once frost took over, to then come for the heater. I dramatically announced that the water was freezing already so he graciously pulled out his step ladder and climbed up to fetch the heater. Once down, he struggled to find the price as the thing was covered in an inch of dust. When he brushed off the dust with his fingers, he uncovered a price of $75.00 and looked at me very awkwardly. "I'll take it!" I said, after which I hurried to ask about heating lamps. Very awkwardly again, he directed me to the back of the store, and after searching for a minute or two, found a heat bulb. Then, so kindly and gently, advised me that the birds are fine in cold weather and that I truly don't need to provide them with additional warmth, and that all we really need to worry about is drafts.

I thanked him for the advice, paid for the feeder and heater, and went home, so proud of my purchase.

When I got home, Stuart flipped when I told him I spent $75 on a water heater for the chickens that give us $0.25 per day of eggs. So, realizing my error, I suggested he bring it back, with the excuse that his wife is from the city. The man at the Feed & Seed looked relieved as he gave Stuart back our money.

I guess livestock aren't city pets.

-------------------------------

So, early last Friday morning, I left to go work in Toronto for the weekend. I was very sad to leave my hens behind as they were just beginning to trust me enough to eat out of my hands. I had a nice weekend in the city, visiting some of my dear friends. I called Stuart once to make sure that he was giving the hens their greens and oyster shells. He assured me that he had done it.

When I came home Sunday afternoon, Stuart was absent but the dogs were ecstatic to see me and I kissed them and cavorted with them a bit. I then headed straight for the bird house to check if there were any eggs waiting for me. What I found was a bunch of feathers and no hens.

Chico is the devil - in disguise. 



The poor birds succumbed after the evil-dog dug himself into the coop. Poor Stuart had to deal with the messy situation. We were ALL traumatized and very sad about our failure to care for this lovely and amazing gift.

 




I cried all night. I was shot through the heart. Welcome to farm life, Anthony said to comfort me.

____________________________

We've got two new hens, generously given to us by Matt, who knew how devastated I would be to have lost my prized birds. Stuster the Rooster is much happier now then he'd been these past few days. He just didn't know what to do with himself without any women around, and had taken to sleeping in one of their nests. The ducks also seem to take comfort in the arrival of the new gals. I won't name the new hens until I'm sure that they'll be my friends for a while. Some reparations to the chicken coop are in order now. Work work work. But lots of play too.

______________________________

Today, we bought a couple of piglets to grow for a New Year's dinner. They are well settled in their pig sty at Matty's.

Yummy.

Watch for your next Country Life update soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment