Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Dead of Winter

I was told today that one's first Winter in the country is always like this.

February is just around the corner, and we are now in the Dead of Winter. I remember as though in a dream how when we first arrived in September, the place was teeming with life. You couldn't look anywhere without spotting a garner snake, a frog, a dragon fly, a busy bee, a millipede, a blue jay. Even if you tried. Now, I can stare out of my window for hours hoping to spot an animal, some kind of life other than the cluster flies that are to my amazement still alive and well in our house, or those other lives that sleep in my bed and that I feed myself everyday, whose survival I assure.

We have only one vehicle in use right now. It goes to work everyday, and leaves me behind at home. Being a city girl all of my life until now, I was accustomed to walking everywhere, and meeting loads of people along the way. It is true that as city dwellers, I and everyone else tried very hard not to have their gazes meet to avoid having to say hello or having to look down to the ground in embarrassment or God forbid, having to smile back despite being in a bad mood. I longed for the day when I'd be able to fully embrace solitude and have the opportunity to spend an entire day by myself without seeing anyone at all. I've done that now, quite a lot, and while I do enjoy it, most of the time it's not by choice.  I love my own company, but I've found I actually like the company of others too.

Two days ago, a nice lady from the Women's Institute called me and asked if I wanted to join her and the other Institute ladies for lunch. I was overjoyed. Women! Live women to talk to about farming and solitude! We had a lovely lunch today and I feel re-invigorated after the stimulating discussions about chickens, pigs, vegetables, draft horses, ponies, and sheep's milk. I love the country!


On the bright side of Winter,  I've learned that February is the time to plan summer gardens and order seeds. I couldn't wait another day and placed my orders yesterday. The thought of these colourful, juicy and tasty summer treats warmed my heart quite a bit. I was like a kid in a candy store. This will be the first time I try my hand at vegetable gardening. I hope to be able to grow enough to provide for our household for the entire year. That's the plan, anyway. Here's what I ordered for my 350-square-foot summer garden, my 400-square-foot winter storage garden and my herb garden:

Eleven varieties of tomatoes
Tomatillos
New Zealand Spinach
Winter squash (Spaghetti, Butternut, Yellow Scallop, Acorn)
Purple top white globe turnip
Black beauty and Golden zucchini
Lutz green leaf beet
Red and green cabbage
Potatoes
Premium mix - brassica
De Cicco brocoli
Chantenay and Dragon carrots
Pok Choy
Straight eight cucumbers
Curly green kale
Sugar snap peas
Cherry Belle radish
Bleu de solaize leek
Dakota tears, Rossa di Milano and Evergreen onions
Orange Bell peppers
Jalapenos
Rutabaga
Sweet delight melon
Early green moss endive
Parsnip
Crimson sweet watermelon
Baby leaf lettuce
Five-colour chards
Grand Rapids leaf lettuce
Arugula
Chamomille
Coriander
Dill
Garlic chives
Greek oregano
Lovage
Mustard
Parsley
Rosemary
Sage
Savory
Sorrel
Sweet Basil
Dark Opal basil

and loads of flower seeds!

Already growing on our property: rhubarb, strawberries, elderberries, tarragon, thyme, raspberries, asparagus and horseradish.

Here are some great places to order seeds online:

Terra Edibles Local organic, heirloom seeds

Hope Seeds Canadian certified-organic seeds

Ontario Seeds Larger Ontario seed company

If you feel inclined to start a vegetable garden of your own for the first time, whether you live in the city, in a village or  in the country, I strongly recommend getting a copy of "From Seed to Table - A Practical Guide to Eating and Growing Green" by Janette Haase.


It's a fantastic book that classifies all of the gardening tasks and recipe ideas according to the months of the year. For an inexperienced vegetable gardener like myself, this is the ideal guide to simplify the daunting task of knowing when to start transplants, how many to start, when to plant, when to harvest, how to store and preserve your harvest etc. and how to eat seasonally based on what you have grown yourself, whether it be fresh, or preserved, or on what's available at the market.

Until May, when I finally get to taste the fruits of my upcoming labour, I only get to salivate to my daydreams while loading some more wood into my best friend's belly.

5 comments:

  1. OMG i am a city girl living in the country too i guess, except we have 2 cars and that damn car take me to the city everyday. Love the lunch idea and OMG how much seed did you order is this even legal?

    xoxoxo

    N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karina, I LOVE YOUR BLOG! So glad to hear you got to hang out with some women, I know it gets lonely even if you do enjoy solitude. I'm so excited about your shopping list, are you going to do canning and jarring and pickling? You're going to have to. Love to you and Stuie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normand, you guys were an inspiration!

    Simone, thanks so much for reading... You'll have to come by and help me can and jar and pickle next Summer! I know Dawn has some experience and wants to participate too. Let's have a canning party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you will need a sowing party, a maintenance party, a harvesting party AND a canning party. Experience has taught me that nature will provide Wayyyyyyy more than you think, so be prepared. BTW, can I come over and get your leftovers...?

    Jocelyne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ironically ... sadly ... I am enduring my first Iowa winter in the Middle of Nowhere. I just had a farmer tell me, "You'll never forget your first winter in Iowa. No one does." I responded quickly, "I'm hoping this will be my last!" All kidding aside, I love the country. But there is no country as desolate and barren as Iowa country. I hope to get back to Michigan's mitten country. Until then, maybe we can gab.

    Kathy
    barnyardblessings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete